Friday 22 April 2011

Being a healthy teacher.

Sorry for the lack of updates this week. It's been a bit of a slow week and I don't really want to post updates saying 'my agency didn't call today'. Anyway, on to the point of this update.

When I was doing my PGCE, I remember in the first week one of the course coordinators giving a lecture that ended with a slide saying 'keep playing rugby'. It wasn't just about rugby, of course, but this slide turned out to be some of the best advice I received in training. He said that whether it was rugby, reading the sunday paper, being with your children or walking your dog, it was important to keep doing the things you loved despite the work load. And he was right. Teaching is, rightly or wrongly, competitive. We see each other spending hours making flashy resources, meticulously filing or doing extra planning until the early hours. All of these things are important, and I believe in spending good time in planning lessons, but life is also important.

I don't believe unhealthy teachers are the best teachers they can be. I don't believe that all the pretty resources in the world can replace a good night's sleep, plenty of water and regular exercise. Teaching is demanding, even though many people don't believe this. So time spent to walk or run or play the sport you love is not time wasted, is not time taken away from all the work you have to do, it is a part of the work you have to do. An important part. If you are energised, motivated and calm, your lessons will be energising, motivating and calming. I believe in giving myself a fighting chance, and staying healthy is the best way to do that.

In other news, I'd love to get more followers on this, so if you like it, please do follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment